Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Pizza Product Reviews!

Pizza.  One of my truest loves.  I have only ever encountered one truly inedible pizza in my life and I made it myself.  But, most gluten free pizza products out there aren't too bad.  Here's some of what I've found since the last time I posted:

Arrowhead Mills Gluten Free Pizza Crust Mix:


I gave this mix a try a couple of months ago.  One of the biggest adjustments to making gluten free boxed or homemade pizza doughs is the texture of the dough before it's baked.  These doughs are often extremely sticky, and aren't so much rolled out like a typical dough as they are spread onto an oiled pan.  That is definitely the case with this mix.  It's very sticky, and pretty difficult to spread.  The results left me feeling unsatisfied.  It was edible, but not enjoyable.  The pizza I made with this mix left a lot to be desired in terms of both taste and texture.  I probably won't make it again.

Gluten Free Bisquick Pizza Recipe


I gave this a try last night.  There's a recipe on the side panel of this mix for pizza crust.  I decided to add some typical seasonings to the crust like garlic, onion, and oregano.  The result was a pizza on a sort of okay tasting biscuit.  The taste of the crust wasn't bad, but the texture wasn't like a pizza.  This is the real trap of most gluten free pizzas I've had.  If the end result is a pizza with a fluffy crust, the texture is likely to be "off" somehow.  However, if the end result is a thinner crust, the texture tends to be less objectionable.  In this case, the texture wasn't terrible, but it's not necessarily what you expect when you think pizza.  I WOULD make this again, but only if I was dying for a pizza and didn't have any other options.  

Domino's Gluten Free Pizza



Gluten free pizza at a national chain. . . sort of.  Like the disclaimer says, the pizza is prepared in a kitchen with all the delicious gluteny goodness.  So, Domino's doesn't guarantee that it's not going to cause a reaction.  So, what have I learned?  That I need to order it takeout from the store over near campus.  College campuses tend to have a lot more people that are gluten free, and/or employees that know about gluten sensitivities or Celiac, etc.  The several times I've ordered the gluten free pizza from that store I've been fine, and have not had a reaction to the pizza.  The one time I ordered from the store that delivers to my house?  Probably the worst I've felt in months.  Seriously.  Honestly, I've not been back to Domino's since then, but not because I wouldn't go back, but because I've found a better option.  However, I'd be happy to order another Domino's gluten free pizza.  I know I'm taking a risk, but it is tasty.  It's one of the better one's out there, and really. . . convenience does it for me.  The texture of the thin crust is good, and the taste of the crust, the toppings, and the cheese are all to my liking, so this is up there on my list.

Mellow Mushroom


Back when I was able to eat gluten, I LOVED Mellow Mushroom.  The pretzels.  Oh my God, the pretzels. I loved it.  The chewy texture of the crust, and the awesome toppings.  It was always a good time, if not a little pricey.  The same is true for their gluten free pizza.  The crust has a pleasant taste (although I've had a bit of a beany after taste one or two times) and the texture is good as well.  It's a solid piece of pizza that you could pick up and enjoy eating with your hands.  The crusts are prepackaged, so the staff aren't actually making these in the kitchen with the other pizzas.  They're essentially unwrapping them, oiling a pan and cooking it.  But, they do use designated pans and utensils for the gluten free products.  But, because it's a prepackaged crust, no luck on any delicious gluten free pretzels.  Despite that, I'd eat Mellow Mushroom's gluten free pizza any time.  Taste and texture wise, it's worth the money.

Slices

I don't have a picture of Slices by Tony's gluten free pizza.  Tony is an awesome dude who my friend Gianna knows.  He's Italian and she babysits his newborn.  Tony makes the BEST gluten free pizza in the world HANDS DOWN.  My husband, who tries all of my gluten free pizza products, but generally hates all the homemade ones, and says the chain products are just "passable" absolutely LOVES Slices' gluten free pizza.  He said not only is it the best gluten free pizza he's had, but he rates it very highly on his list of all time good tasting pizzas.  I have no idea what Tony puts in it.  I don't know how he does it, but I know that I never, ever want him to go out of business.  I will cry.  I will be the saddest person in the world when I have to leave Greensboro and leave this pizza behind me.  Slices' gluten free is worth every single penny that I pay for it, and I will pay it over and over again.


As always, I'm still going to be experimenting with pizza crusts here in my home.  I'm eager to do a cauliflower crust, and there's a brown rice crust that my friend Spencer suggested months ago, that I really need to experiment with!




No comments:

Post a Comment