Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Ginger Rice

I love ginger.  It's fresh and bright, but has a great bite to it.  People that go gluten free become really well acquainted with rice.  I use it frequently as a side dish.  But, plain rice gets boring quickly.  So, I decided to do a ginger rice one day.  It's one of my husband's favorites.  I keep ginger root in my freezer, because it's easier to grate that way, and I always have some on hand.

1 T. butter
2 T. fresh ginger, grated
1 c. rice (you can substitute quinoa if you like)
1 1/2 c. low sodium, fat free chicken stock
1/2 tsp salt


Melt butter in medium sized sauce pan.  Add rice and coat, followed by ginger and chicken stock.  Bring to a boil then reduce heat slightly, cover and simmer.  That's it.  It's nothing spectacular, it's just a way to brighten up something you eat all the time.  It makes a really great dinner side or a base for a stir fry.  I always make extra because I know that I'm going to want leftovers the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment