Saturday, June 22, 2013

Homemade Pizza That Didn't Suck!

On my never-ending quest to make delicious, homemade, gluten free pizza, I've tried another recipe.  And the results were not just palatable, but enjoyable.  Now, is it as good as my go-to takeout pizza from Slices?  No.  No, it's not that good.  But, I think I'm getting closer.  Anyone who is GF who doesn't read Gluten Free on a Shoestring, don't wait anymore. . . go.  Read the blog, buy the books, drool over the recipes and pictures.  It's a great site.  I had been really apprehensive about doing my own gluten free flour blends.  But, I figure I'm going to have to do it eventually, why wait?

So I tried the Better Batter flour blend hack that is on Gluten Free on a Shoestring for my pizza dough.  It's a combination of brown rice, white rice, tapioca, and potato flours with potato starch, xanthan gum and pectin.   The resulting dough was surprisingly not sticky.  If you've ever made gluten free pizza dough from a kit, you may have flashbacks from oiling the pan, oiling your hands and trying to spread an oozy, sticky dough around the pan, hoping that eventually it would be something edible.  Well, this is a lot more like working with gluten-full dough.  What I think will really help me in the future is to regrind my brown rice flour.  I buy mine from Whole Foods, and it's a little grainy.  I need to use our coffee grinder, food processor or blender to see if I can get it down to a finer texture.  I also want to try the Cup 4 Cup blend that Nicole has on gluten free on a shoestring, because I think the resulting dough may be a little lighter.

My pizza was tasty, but the texture was a little dense.  It certainly was not unpleasant, and I made a really sizeable pizza with the dough.  It was easy to roll (with a rolling pin. . . I know right?) and work with with my hands.  It was much more like "normal baking" than almost anything else I've ever done with gluten free from scratch baking.  So, I'm encouraged.  While this wasn't my perfect pizza, it was much better than anything I've made thus far!  Things are looking up!

No comments:

Post a Comment